Tuesday, November 23, 2010

On Hypnosis: Part One

A reader asks:

What experience have you had with hypnosis?

This question is much bigger and more complicated than it seems!

I have nine months experience with hypnosis. Before February 2010, I didn't really believe it would work. I figured there was maybe something there but it seemed... new-agey and bogus. Out of curiosity and a certain sense of recklessness, I found some people who do erotic hypnosis and hung out with them at a con. I was boggled!

Hypnosis works.

Not for everyone, of course. If you don't want it to work, for whatever reason, then it won't.

The first time, I was skeptical about whether it was actually doing anything; I felt like I was making decisions to play along. However, having decided to play along with the game, it stopped being a game. I did fall into trance! The rest of that evening at the party, I went in and out of trance, and it felt really, really good.

It was a life-changing experience.

In the past nine months, I have been tranced lots of times, mostly by my boyfriend, Mr. Shiny. I have not hypnotized anyone else; I generally prefer to be on the submissive or bottom side of powerful activities, although I've seen others get hypnotized. Most of my trances have been in person, but I've had one from watching a video of an induction, and I've had trances induced by light-sound machines.*

I have a set of posthypnotic suggestions that can control my behavior if Mr. Shiny wants them to. He can drop me into a trance, freeze me, make me passive, make me eager to please, make me compliant; he can alter my mental and emotional states directly. He can indirectly alter my physical state: he's used suggestions to help manage pain.

Anything I can voluntarily do, I can be compelled to do in a trance or by a suggestion or trigger after. Actions that are nominally voluntary but that I wouldn't have the willpower to follow through on are also easy to control. Some things I can't voluntarily do can also be controlled; I can have an orgasm instantly on command, and Mr. Shiny can control the parameters of it:

"Have a slow, silent orgasm," he can say, and I do. That didn't work right away, though; it's taken a while for me to learn how to have lots of different kinds of orgasms.

I'm not as good at some other hypnotic phenomena. I can barely do a positive hallucination, where I sense something that isn't there. At best, it's tactile, and more like mis-attributing a sensation. To my knowledge, I've had no amnesia. I haven't had a negative hallucination, where I don't see something that is there. However, I can continuously disregard something, simply not notice a thing, which is subjectively very like a negative hallucination.

I love how hypnosis allows Mr. Shiny to control me. He can constrain, or restrain, me with two words! How awesome is that?

Other hypnopervs do different things with it. Some enjoy vibrant hallucinations of travel or metamorphoses; some do it to enhance their primary kinks; some do straight erotic feelings with no power exchange at all; some do it because the trance itself is so exciting to them that anything they actually do with it is an afterthought.

Of course, all of this is very different from clinical hypnosis. You can use hypnosis as part of therapy or as part of chronic pain management or during surgery or to quit smoking or lose weight. Hypnosis is different in those contexts.

I've stayed away because I want to keep the lovely erotic charge I get from dropping into a deep trance.

*Hereafter referred to as Blinky Helmets.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have any thoughts on issues of consent with regards to hypnoplay?

    After a certain point in trance, I can't imagine how one could even think to safeword.

    ReplyDelete